How to contact us
Information Officer: Jessica Cornhill
Telephone: +27 (0) 21 859 2491
- Shannon Vineyards is engaged in the following business activities:
- the production, marketing, sale and distribution of liquors products in the South African and international markets.
- As part of managing Shannon Vineyards’ business and creating value for all its stakeholders, Shannon Vineyards is required, in certain instances, to process Personal Information. Accordingly, Shannon Vineyards is required to protect such Personal Information as set out in the Protection of Personal Information Act and declares its commitment to comply with the Act.
- Shannon Vineyards shall ensure that all Personal Information is processed within the parameters of the law.
- Shannon Vineyards is engaged in the following business activities:
- The way in which Shannon Vineyards uses and protects the Personal Information of a Data Subject;
- The period for which Shannon Vineyards keeps the Personal Information of a Data Subject;
- The rights of a Data Subject regarding his/hers/its Personal Information; and
- The action a Data Subject should take if he/she/it does not want to provide Shannon Vineyards with his/her/its Personal Information.
III Interpretation and definitions
- Clause headings are for convenience and reference purposes only and shall not be used in the interpretation thereof;
- Any gender includes all other genders and a natural person includes a juristic person and vice versa;
- The following words and/or expressions shall, unless the context indicates otherwise, bear the meaning assigned to them below and in the Act:
- “the Act” means the Protection of Personal Information Act, Act 4 of 2013, and any regulations thereto, as amended from time to time;
- “Shannon Vineyards” means Shannon Vineyards and Wines (Pty) Ltd and all other companies, close corporations or entities that form part of the Shannon Vineyards group of entities, including but not limited to its holding companies, subsidiaries and affiliates, irrespective of the nature of the relationship between the members of the group;
- “Cookie/s” (also called web cookie, internet cookie, browser cookie, or simply cookie) is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored on the user’s computer by the user’s web browser while the user is browsing to inter alia remember stateful information (such as items added in the shopping cart in an online store) or to record the user’s browsing activity;
- “Data Subject” means the Person to whom the Personal Information relates;
- “Employee” means a permanent, fixed-term or temporary employee of Shannon Vineyards;
- “Information Officer” means the person appointed by Shannon Vineyards, from time to time, who is responsible for the monitoring of compliance, by Shannon Vineyards, with the conditions for the lawful Processing of Personal Information; dealing with requests made to Shannon Vineyards in terms of the Act; working with the Regulator in relation to investigations conducted in relation to prior authorisation by the Data Subject and ensuring compliance by Shannon Vineyards with the provisions of the Act;
- “Operator” means a third party that processes Personal Information in terms of a mandate or contract with Shannon Vineyards, without coming under the direct authority of Shannon Vineyards;
- “Person” means any person, company, close corporation, trust, partnership or other entity;
- “Personal Information” means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to:
- information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the Person;
- information relating to the educational, medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the Person;
- any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the Person;
- the biometric information of the Person;
- the personal opinions, views or preferences of the Person;
- correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
- the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
- the name of the person if it appears with other Personal Information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the Person;
- “Processing” means any operation or activity or any set of operations, whether or not by automatic means, concerning Personal Information, including:
- the collection, receipt, recording, organisation, collation, storage, updating or modification, retrieval, alteration, consultation or use;
- dissemination by means of transmission, distribution or making available in any other form; or
- merging, linking, as well as restriction, degradation, erasure or destruction of information.
- “Special Personal Information” means religious or philosophical beliefs, race or ethnic origin, trade union membership, political persuasion, health or sex life or biometric information of a Data Subject or the criminal behaviour of the Person to the extent that such information relates to:
- the alleged commission by the Person of any offence; or
- any proceedings in respect of any offence allegedly committed by the Person or the disposal of such proceedings.
IV Processing of personal information
- Data Subject Personal Information collected by Shannon Vineyards and the basis thereof.
The Personal Information Shannon Vineyards collects in the ordinary course of business includes:
- only information that is adequate, necessary, and relevant to enable it to effectively supply products or render services or assist in any manner required, such as the Data Subject’s name, identity number or registration number (where applicable), Data Subject’s employees or its directors’ Personal Information, contact information etc.;
- electronic or other communications sent to Shannon Vineyards by the Data Subject and by Shannon Vineyards to the Data Subject;
- information submitted to Shannon Vineyards by the Data Subject or on behalf of the Data Subject, including Personal Information submitted as part of Shannon Vineyards’ online shopping platform;
- information from the Data Subject’s visits to Shannon Vineyards website, including the type of browsers and operating system that the Data Subject uses, access times, pages viewed, URLs clicked on, the Data Subject’s IP address and the pages visited before and after navigating Shannon Vineyards’ website;
- social media tracking pixels that allow platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to interact with Shannon Vineyards and its website and give feedback on the Data Subject’s actions;
- device information, including the unique device identifier, hardware model, operating system and version and mobile network information;
- Personal Information that Shannon Vineyards collects when it monitors other websites and may include the Data Subject’s public Personal Information, for example when Shannon Vineyards monitors digital conversations on public platforms to understand what people are saying about it or Shannon Vineyards’ industry in general. Shannon Vineyards may combine information that it has about a Data Subject from various sources;
- Shannon Vineyards website uses various technologies including “cookies” which allow the website to recognise and respond to the Data Subject as an individual. The Data Subject can elect to accept or decline cookies. If a Data Subject elects to decline cookies, not all elements of the website may function as intended, so the Data Subject’s website experience may be affected; and
- Personal Information that is provided to Shannon Vineyards by its clients in the conducting of Shannon Vineyards’ business.
- Protection of Data Subject’s Personal Information
- Shannon Vineyards uses a variety of security measures and technologies to help protect Personal information of a Data Subject from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction in line with applicable Personal Information protection and privacy laws. For example, when Shannon Vineyards shares the Personal Information of a Data Subject with external suppliers, it shall put in place a written agreement which commits the suppliers to keep the Data Subject’s Personal Information confidential and to put in place appropriate security measures to keep it secure.
- The transmission to Shannon Vineyards of information via the internet or a mobile phone network connection may not be completely secure and any transmission in this manner, is at the Data Subject’s risk.
- Despite the security measures that Shannon Vineyards has in place to protect Personal Information of a Data Subject (firewalls, password access control, SFTP transfers and encryption methods), the Data Subject acknowledges that it may be accessed by an unauthorised third party, e.g., as a result of an illegal activity, and indemnifies Shannon Vineyards against any damages or loss suffered as a result of such activity.
- How does Shannon Vineyards use the Personal Information of a Data Subject
Shannon Vineyards may use the Personal Information of a Data Subject to provide the Data Subject with information, products and services including, but not limited to:
- online or physical events, such as webcast events;
- press releases;
- promotions and competitions;
- job postings;
- financial results;
- marketing communications about Shannon Vineyards products and services. Shannon Vineyards will obtain consent for marketing to the extent required by law;
- contact and interact with the Data Subject, including to:
- receive information from the Data Subject;
- request the Data Subject to update it information, including Personal Information on Shannon Vineyards website, online shopping platform and other records;
- respond to requests from the Data Subject (including in circumstances where a Data Subject applied for employment); and
- provide important notices and updates, such as changes to terms, standard operating procedures (SOPs), policies, security alerts and administrative messages.
- operate Shannon Vineyards’ business, including:
- screening visitors through CCV footage, conducting searches for dangerous weapons and completing the attendance register for security purposes to ensure that only authorised persons enter the premises of Shannon Vineyards;
- complying with applicable laws, regulations and guidance; and
- complying with demands or requests made by regulators, governments, courts and law enforcement authorities.
- improve Shannon Vineyards’ day-to-day operations, including:
- for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis and research to help Shannon Vineyards deliver and improve its digital platforms, content and services;
- to monitor and analyse trends, usage and activities in connection with Shannon Vineyards products and services to understand which parts of Shannon Vineyards digital platforms and services are of the most interest and to improve the design and content of those platforms;
- to improve Shannon Vineyards products and services and communications to the Data Subject; and
- to ensure that Shannon Vineyards has up-to-date contact information for the Data Subject, where applicable.
- Retention period by Company of Personal information of a Data Subject Shannon Vineyards will always keep the Personal Information of a Data Subject for the period required by law and where it needs to do so in connection with legal action or an investigation in which it is involved or to mitigate risks which Shannon Vineyards is exposed to in the normal course of its business. Otherwise, Shannon Vineyards will keep Personal Information of a Data Subject:
- for as long as needed to provide the Data Subject with access to products and services he/she/it has requested;
- where the Data Subject has contacted Shannon Vineyards with a question or request, for as long as necessary to allow Shannon Vineyards to respond to the question or request and as required by law.
- Permitted sharing by Company of Personal Information of a Data Subject 4.5.1. Shannon Vineyards may share Personal Information of a Data Subject with the following third parties and/or Operators:
- The entities in the Shannon Vineyards group and including but not limited to any holding company/ies or subsidiary/ies as defined in the Companies Act, Act 71 of 2008 or affiliates, irrespective of the legal nature of how the entities comprise the group;
- Shannon Vineyards directors, officials, Employees, agents, Operators and suppliers, including those who provide it with technology services such as data analytics, hosting and technical support;
- Shannon Vineyards’ professional advisors, auditors and business partners;
- regulators, governments and law enforcement authorities; and
- other third parties in connection with re-organising all or any part of Shannon Vineyards’ business.
- Personal Information of a Data Subject may be processed by Shannon Vineyards and/or Shannon Vineyards’ Operators outside of the Republic of South Africa. The Data Subject acknowledges that Personal Information laws in the countries to which the Personal Information of a Data Subject is transferred, may not always be equivalent to, or as protective as, the laws in the Republic of South Africa and agrees and consents to its Personal Information being transferred as such.
- Shannon Vineyards will implement appropriate and reasonable measures to ensure that the Personal Information of a Data Subject remains protected and secure when it is transferred outside of the Republic of South Africa, in accordance with applicable Personal Information protection and privacy laws. These measures include data transfer agreements implementing standard data protection clauses.
- Data Subject’s rights regarding his Personal Information The Data Subject is entitled, subject to Shannon Vineyards’ rights as set out in the Act, to:
- request Shannon Vineyards for access to Personal Information Shannon Vineyards holds about him/her/it;
- request a correction and/or deletion of his/her/its Personal Information;
- request the restriction of the Processing of his Personal Information, or object to that Processing;
- withdraw his/her/its consent to the Processing of his/her/its Personal Information (where Shannon Vineyards is Processing his/her/its Personal Information based on his/her/its consent);
- withdraw his/her/its consent to receive marketing messages;
- request for the receipt or the transfer to another organisation, in a machine-readable form, of the Personal Information, that he/she/it has provided to Shannon Vineyards; and
- complain to his local data protection authority if his/her/its privacy rights are violated, or if he/she/it has suffered as a result of unlawful Processing of his Personal Information.
- What the Data Subject should do if he/she/it does not want to provide Shannon Vineyards with his Personal Information
- Where a Data Subject is given the option to share his/her/its Personal Information with Shannon Vineyards, he/she/it can always elect not to do so.
- If a Data Subject objects to the Processing of his/her/its Personal Information, or if he/she/it has provided his/her/its consent to Processing and he/she/it later chooses to withdraw it, Shannon Vineyards will comply with the request in accordance with its legal obligations. Shannon Vineyards’ legal obligations in respect of the withdrawn Personal Information shall therefore cease to exist.
- The rights of the Data Subject are subject to Shannon Vineyards’ rights as set out in the Act.
- Data Subject Personal Information collected by Shannon Vineyards and the basis thereof.
V Important notice to data subjects
- The Data Subject indemnifies and holds Shannon Vineyards, including all its directors, officials, members, employees, and agents harmless against any claim (including legal costs on an attorney-and-own client scale) which may be made against Shannon Vineyards pursuant to a Data Subject with Personal Information of a Person which has not been lawfully obtained and/or Processed by the Data Subject
- to provide for the introduction of new systems, methods of operation, services, products or facilities;
- to comply with changes to any legal or regulatory requirements.
- to rectify any mistake that may be discovered from time to time; and/or
- for any other reason which Shannon Vineyards, in its sole discretion, may deem reasonable or necessary.
- Should the Data Subject believe that Shannon Vineyards has utilised Personal Information contrary to the Act, the Data Subject undertakes to first attempt to resolve any concerns with Shannon Vineyards.
- If the Data Subject is not satisfied with such process, the Data Subject may have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator, using the contact details listed below:
Telephone: 012 406 4818